Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Exchange 2010 Update Rollup Fails with error 1603

Hi folks,

Today when working on a simple task as installing Update Rollup 5 for Exchange 2010 SP3 I ran into a funny issue. On one of my lab servers it was failing with the error 1603.

After some googling i encountered this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2784788 . Following it does the magic, however notice couple tricks here. For Exchange 2010 RU to produce verbose logging run command like:

msiexec /update Exchange2010-KB2917508-x64-en.msp /qn /L*v RU5InstallLog.txt

You will need to replace name of MSP file in the command with the appropriate name

Also look in the log file for the appropriate MSP file. It may differ from the one specified in the article (it actually applies for Exchange 2007). In my case it was Exchange2010-KB2866475-x64-en.msp which corresponds to RU2 for Exchange 2010 SP3.

So I ended up downloading RU2 for Exchange 2010 SP3 and dripping it to C:\Windows\installer folder which the article has been suggested. However this wasn't successful as well.

I looked through the log again and discovered that the installer tried to look for c:\Exchange2010-KB2866475-x64-en.msp. I have ended up running command prompt as admin and copy the file there. After which the installation has successfully completed. And, of course, since it is RU, the installation sometimes takes ages. Weird placement for update files, isn't it.

One of the lessons learned. Keep your Exchange install and update files in the folder where you have put them originally as installer will go to those locations whenever you attempt to change something about the server setup.