Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Some Adventures with Exchange Monitoring

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share with you about my recent adventure. As you well know when you are installing CU on Exchnage 2013/16 server you will need to place this server on maintenance mode before the installation and resume it back to production afterwards. I have already published here about a nicer way of doing it.

Recently I have performed installation of CU on my estate and when running scripts that restores my server to a production mode I noticed that some of the components, namely CAS front end components ended up in the Inactive state.



No matter what I did they failed to activate.

Thisthis and also this blog posts became my starting points. However running commands against each of Inactive components would not help whatsoever. However what I noticed that the free disk space on the C drive was less than 10%. It was about 10 GB which was enough for Windows OS to run but not to Exchange. I have identified a lot of rubbish on my C drive that occupied its valuable space and deleted it. Thus I have recovered more than 50% of free space. After which running below commands against each of server components succeeded:

Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component AutoDiscoverProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component ActiveSyncProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component EcpProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component EwsProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component OwaProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component OabProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component RpsProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component RwsProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI
Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component PRCProxy -State Active -Requester HealthAPI

This drew me to conclusion that this was one of the protective measures of Exchange server monitoring component which runs on backgrounds to ensure that all services are healthy and tries to automatically fix them, It simply wouldn't allow server to start when free disk space on system drive was below a certain threshold. I may need to read more about it as this component is quite mysterious and nothing much you can read about it or do about it, except some overrides.

Alternatively you can reactivate all components on server by running the below 2 commands:

Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component ServerWideOffline -State Inactive -Requester HealthAPI

Set-ServerComponentState SERVER01 -Component ServerWideOffline -State Active-Requester HealthAPI

After which you should get something as below:




Enjoy!